Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Funny Story (Part One)

I am a big fan of storytelling, besides baseball, it is the other American past-time. A good story is timeless, evokes emotion, laughter and any other thing that ties someone to a memory of when something happened. We are all full of stories that we share with numerous people. With that being said, I would like to share my story of when my good friend Sean, yes you can be friends with someone who shares your name, made me laugh myself to sleep after our school's marching band played the Today Show in New York City.

As a member of the marching band I raped those bass drums, xylophones and other percussive instruments on a daily basis and I couldn't wait to show those talents to the world. Our band director was contacted by the likes of the Late Night with Conan O'Brien show asking if they could have a small group come to perform for his 10th anniversary on the Today show at 7am, very short notice. So it was a go and only the small amount of seniors were allowed to attend this. We had about one or two days to learn the music, which was a drum and bugle corp rendition of Conan's hit opening theme song. You're singing it in your head just like me at the moment.

The day before our journey we had school as usual. This starts my time of being awake to ultimately lead to my demise into a exhausted laugh myself to sleep, which was a icing-on-the-cake-moment in my life. I wake up at 6am and go to school till 2pm, then my regular high school afternoon thing of who knows what, then our marching band has a scheduled practice from 6pm to 9pm. Everyone in my senior class is feeling invincible, thinking nothing will kill our excitement. Then from 9pm to 4am a lot of us stay up and party at our friend Anthony's house before we have to be on a bus to go up to the city. I can't imagine being a parent having to wake up for his job in the middle of the week as a bunch of 17 year olds are yelling and screaming downstairs, but Anthony's parents we're some true sports only asking us to keep it down once at 2:30am.

The time finally comes, we load the bus and we're on our way to the Today show in NYC! Some of us sleep, show signs of exhaustion, but not me I'm roaring to go so I can rape my bass drum for Conan O'Brien! We arrive, we set up, we practice, take some pictures with Al Roker, and start to see the insanity of this function for Conan. We share a pretty big dressing room with some performers such as Chippendale's dancers with their ripped bodies, and the Masturbating Bear, which was just an Asian guy in there. As we get outside in the brisk city air we see the set up, get our assignment of what to do and then I see the live animals that are a part of this production, one in particular was a camel and I remember an ostrich or llama. I could be mistaken...

Tune in next week for the conclusion of how my good friend Sean, yes I said before you can be friend with someone who share your name, on exactly what made me laugh myself to sleep. Until then, be safe and get some rest.

Yours truly,
Sean Favre

No comments:

Post a Comment