Monday, April 19, 2010

Billy vs. The Missed Opportunity

Yes boys and girls, I'm back. It's been a while. I know I've missed you, and I can only imagine just how much you've missed me, so let's just jump right in shall we?

I used to go on Craigslist years ago, looking for work around the area. It always seemed like a good tool to use for people get in touch with people. I got a job on a film set from Craigslist, one of the best months of my life. I owe a lot to that site now that I think about, but the positives of the page are not what I'm looking to focus on right now.

I think the idea of the personal ad section MISSED OPPORTUNITIES is a pretty cool one when taken at face value. You have a fleeting moment with someone at a mall, in a bar, on the beach, anywhere really. Circumstances come up, you can't get in touch with the person. You don't have a name and you don't have a phone number. You only have the memories. What can you do?? You can't do Facebook unless you want to go through thousands of names hoping to find your glorious needle in a haystack. Craigslist comes up with the solution. MISSED OPPORTUNITIES. There are some legit ones in there that are kinda cool to read, and kinda sad. People trying to cling to a moment they had with someone. It's such a damn longshot but people need to do what they can, and I can respect that. BUT, sometimes, comedy strikes. And comedy has struck my friends. Closer than I ever imagined.

So I'm browsing the Missed Connections page earlier today and I see one that has a town listed that's near me. That almost never happens, so it caught my eye. Then I realized that it's about an OPPORTUNITY that took place at my gym. I could only imagine what it was. Maybe I even knew the people involved! Maybe I could piece together this mystery. I had to check it out. Here is what it read:

I didn't want to stop working out because I was enjoying watching you do push ups right in front of me today. Great butt by the way! Too bad you left before I could thank you for the motivating view.

That was it.

So let me get this straight. Here's this woman at the gym, going about her daily routine. She sees this guy working out in front of her. The guy is built and she can't help but notice him. I've seen plenty of creepy people staring at the gym. They all think they're subtle, but they're not. It also doesn't help that you're staring while sweating and panting for breath, but yes, the girls can tell I would imagine, unless they're 100% oblivious or straight up blind. So this woman is checking a GUY out, is really impressed, sees the guy leaving, and decides to write about her missed opportunity on Craigslist instead of actually letting the guy know. Clearly this guy isn't going to know about this event. It wasn't a missed opportunity for him as far as he knows; he was just going about his business getting checked out by girls at the gym. He probably has a firm grasp on his opportunities while this woman is looking to get a firm grasp of something else. YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING?? So, I guess my only question would be:

Why didn't she say hello? I'm really quite personable.

No comments:

Post a Comment